How To Care For Oriental Rugs and Carpets
This advice is for all Oriental rugs both antique and contemporary as well for other area rugs and blankets. Oriental rugs, Persian rugs and kilims must be properly maintained in order to keep their value and beauty. While there are many opinions and theories concerning the care of Oriental rugs, if you follow some simple, common sense rules, your Oriental and other area rugs will look great and last a very long time. The information would also pertain to other area rugs, Navajo rugs, Mexican Indian Zapotec rugs and Chimayo weavings from New Mexico. If you would like to view care instructions specific to Navajo rugs, Zapotec rugs or Chimayo weavings, please follow these links: Care of Navajo Rugs, Care of Zapotec Rugs, Care of Chimayo rugs.
Here are some rules for maintaining your Oriental rugs :
- If your Oriental rugs are on the floor, use carpet pad (cushion). There is no question that a carpet pad prolongs the life of your Oriental rug or kilim. In most cases, the best pad available today is a felt pad with a rubber, non-skid back.
- Rotate the rugs periodically so there will be even distribution of fading and wear.
- Have your Oriental rugs and other wool area rugs treated for moths, carpet beetles and destructive insects. Inspect the rugs periodically for insect damage. See carpetbeetles.htm and moths.htm.
- Vacuum your rug moderately using a vacuum without the "beater bar" or" brush roll."
- Clean spills immediately. The quicker the cleanup, the less likely that your rug will sustain permanent staining.
- House train your dog or cat. Urine stains usually cannot be removed and Fido can do a great amount of damage by chewing your treasured Navajo weaving.
- Do not allow the rugs to get wet but if they do get wet, make sure that they dry in the shortest possible time. A "wet vacuum" and a fan can help.
- Do not allow any prolonged moisture to penetrate the rug. An example would be a flower pot set on the rug, thereby causing dry rot or mildew damage.
- Have your rugs cleaned when noticeably dirty and only by a specialist with a thorough knowledge of Oriental rugs and carpets (that's us). Do not have the Oriental rugs or carpets "dry-cleaned", "steam cleaned" or cleaned by any automated means.
- Have any fraying tears or other damage repaired immediately. If a torn or damaged area is allowed to continue fraying, it can greatly decrease the beauty and value of your rug. Remember that quality restoration can save many dollars in future repair costs and also serves to retain the beauty and value of your Oriental rug. Call or e-mail us with your specific questions.